POSITION: TRANSIT DISPATCHER
WAGE: STARTING AT $17.85/HOUR PLUS BENEFITS
Tillamook County Transportation District is seeking a versatile and customer service-oriented person to provide dispatching services in a dynamic and busy office setting. The Transit Dispatcher I is responsible for coordinating the District’s transit services and providing timely and courteous customer service to the general public by answering all inquiries regarding transit services. This position schedules dial-a-ride trips, monitors daily transportation activities, maintains operations database, collects money and distributes transit passes, prepares month-end statistical reports and performs other administrative duties. The Dispatcher I is occasionally called upon to provide quality customer service by driving vehicles as needed.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS:
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing, with other employees and the general public at the level necessary to satisfactorily perform the duties of the position.
- Working knowledge of customer service techniques and ability to be empathetic and cognizant of the needs of all members of the pubic, especially senior and disabled residents.
- Ability to analyze problems and resolve them diplomatically, professionally, and quickly.
- Ability to maintain positive relationships with drivers, supervisors and office staff.
- Ability to operate various types of dispatching equipment including two-way radios and mobile phones.
- Ability to operate various types of office equipment including computers. Must have general knowledge of computer program applications such as Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to perform basic math calculations, reading computer and printed maps, driver manifests, route narratives, bus schedules and operational manuals.
- Ability to safely operate any transit bus or other District vehicle.
- Ability to work varying work schedules. District operates service seven (7) days per week from early morning to late evening hours.
- Must hold and maintain a valid Oregon Class C Commercial Driver’s License with necessary endorsements as prescribed by law.
- Must meet the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations physical qualifications for commercial drivers and ability to perform the physical functions of a driving position.
- Driving record that demonstrates adherence to safety in the operation of motor vehicles and adherence to traffic laws and regulations.
- Safety-sensitive function; Must submit to random DOT drug and alcohol testing in addition to pre-employment screening, Applicant must admit any positive drug or alcohol tests performed within the last two years. Subject to all TCTD drug and personnel policies.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Possession of a high school diploma or GED and successful experience working with the general public. The Transit Dispatcher I works in an office environment. Frequent sitting, keyboarding and hearing voice conversations is required, as well as occasional bending, squatting, lifting up to 20 pounds, pushing, reaching and walking. Occasional vehicle driving is also required.